Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Scholarships

I was accepted to the Pacific Conservatory of the Performing Arts. Now I just need to find a way to pay for it.

I'm applying for a $5000 scholarship, but I need to write a 500 word or less essay about why I deserve this scholarship. I can think of a bajillion reasons. Passion, drive, professionalism, really knowing what I want in life because I'm older...and the biggest reason - because I'm freaking LIVING OUT OF MY CAR to pursue my dreams. You'd think that'd be enough, but none of those reasons seem good enough.

Plus, I'm not sure how to write about that without seeming lazy or crazy.

There have been other celebrities who have done it. Jewel lived out of her van with her mom. I'm not sure what the exact story is there, but I know she used to live out of her van.

And then, of course, there is the overwhelming feeling of not being a good enough artist, and just not being good enough in general.

I guess one thing I can be proud of though is that I would go through tons of hardship and depression and uncomfortable-ness just to pursue my dream and my passion. I think that's pretty admirable. :)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Kari! That's good news. You're the kind of person that boring, sheltered people applying for scholarships are afraid of. They're like, "WTF, I can't compete with that!" because the things they have that you don't (money) pale in comparison to the things you have that they don't (life experience, determination, passion). When performing, you can draw from a place that they can't even fathom.

    I know you'll work it out eventually. And you'll be stronger and better than ever.

    ReplyDelete