Friday, April 22, 2011

An Essay

“When the world says, ‘Give up,’
Hope whispers, ‘Try one more time.’”
- Author Unknown

My first stage role was in 3rd grade as a bird in a production of Cinderella. I continued acting until I was 17 when I moved from Wisconsin to Los Angeles, carrying with me grand dreams of becoming a famous actress. What I didn’t realize, however, was that it takes more than dreams to make it as an actress. At that age, I didn’t have enough maturity or knowledge to comprehend there was more to acting than being famous. Long story short, at that time in my life, I couldn’t handle the rejection, and I quit performing. I graduated with a degree in Psychology and found an opportunity in the psychological field.
While working, I started taking voice lessons again because I wanted to obtain a second Bachelor’s degree in Vocal Performance. However, my vocal coach said I would never be successful because my voice wasn’t big enough. Being in a similar headspace as when I was 17, I listened to her and decided to give up my dreams again, instead entering a Doctoral program in Clinical Psychology.
It wasn’t until my first year of graduate school I realized I would not feel fulfilled unless I followed my dreams, regardless of what anyone told me. Armed now with more life experience and determination, I quit my Doctoral program and auditioned for the local musical. I was cast in the ensemble, but it was a great start for not having been on stage in almost ten years. I also enrolled in singing, acting, and dancing classes at the local community college to help refine my ability and to figure out the best course of action to pursue a career in acting.
Over the past 2 years, I feel my performing skills have improved greatly because of my hard work. I’ve always had inexhaustible passion, motivation, and perseverance, putting 150% into everything I do. But I’ve always lacked focus; never sure I was on the right path. How do I know I’m on the right path now? Because when I’m doing homework, character work, or rehearsal, it feels like the most refreshing glass of water I’ve ever drank on a sweltering hot day.
I know I will be successful because I’ve heard the world telling me to give up, and I listened. But hope came knocking on my door and told me to try again. I will never give up again because now I’m not only armed with ambition, perseverance, and passion, but I’m also armed with knowledge, dedication, and experience. I now have the knowledge that rejection is a part of acting and, when it happens, I just need to keep going. I have the life experience and maturity to know I will lose 100% of the chances I don’t take. And I have the dedication to becoming, not a famous actress, but a great actress who promotes and exemplifies her craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment